April 21, 2017
How to use nested virtualization under Vmware ESX 5.5
Do you wanna play using RHEV inside ESX?
You have to verify a couple of things:
1) To enable promiscous mode ( promiscous mode is explained here )
2) To enable nested virtualization. In my case selecting option “Use Intel VT-X/AMD-V” was not enough.
I had to manually edit the vmx file adding a couple of options. You have to:
– stop the vms
– go to “Datastore and Datastore Clusters” section
– browse the datastore where you have your vms files.
– download the .vmx file
– append the options: vhv.enable = “TRUE” and vmx.allowNested = “TRUE”
– upload the .vmx file overwriting the old one
– start the vm
– connect to vm and check for /proc/cpuinfo lines
In my case I’m playing with RHEV under ESX, and after this procedure, when I ran hosted-engine –deploy I can see:
[ INFO ] Hardware supports virtualization